By Willie Alexander
I replaced all the weatherstripping and glazing on the windshield of my 1979 MGB. A review of online forum posts indicated installation of the windshield would be a challenge. I dry fitted the windshield and found the forward lip section and bottom tubular section of the ‘windshield to body seal’ creating interference with lining up the mounting brackets. Using a single piece of 50-pound fishing line, I wrapped the windshield frame so that the forward lip section was folded up towards the glass and the tubular section compressed. The fishing line ends were anchored at the visor arm mounting holes. The fishing line was spaced about 3/4″ to 1″ apart, and taut enough to produce a weak ‘banjo’ twang when strummed. This removed most of the interference, but still required the use of a couple C-clamps to help hold the mounting brackets in place while installing the bolts. The C-clamps were utilized from the outside of the mounting bracket wells. Once installed, I simply cut the fishing line and pulled it out. Don’t forget to apply your favorite sealer!
In hindsight, next time I will space the fishing line no more than 1/2″ apart and apply more tension to insure the bottom tubular section is completely compressed.